Teachers Stop Caning!

Just thought.

What is caning?
Caning is an act of hitting students with rattan stick or any other object such as a metre long ruler that could make them feel the pain by misbehaving in schools' compound.

Actually, I don't know what to write in my newest post and suddenly the other day a friend told me to write something on school caning. Oh well here it goes.

In my opinion it is important that school children need to learn lessons in their life that every single wrong doings has consequences. This is important because when they realise that misbehaviour lead to caning, they'll probably won't commit any law breaking. If you realised that in the real world, people get caned whenever they did something terrible like rape, molesting etc and it is not a light punishment to compare it with caning in school. In schools children are hit lightly and not too hard that could leave any mark. This is important so that it won't be interpreted as violence against kids. This put a huge burden to discipline teachers (maybe other teachers as well) so that they won't get carried away with emotion and act professionally. I really like to see this to be reimplemented in schools throughout Malaysia because through my personal experience I knew that when was in school students were afraid to behave badly just because they were afraid of being hit with rattan. Isn't this something that needs to be retained in schools these days.

Oh well, years ago Datuk Aziz Shamsuddin told us that these days kids aren't the same as the previous ones just because of the type of media that they consume these days. But I can say that kids will always be kids and they need to be taught lessons. These kids are our future generations and they need to be corrected whenever they did something wrong. I really believe in behaviourism theory. Through punishment and rewards, students are able to distinguish between good and bad. They will soon realise that bad behaviour will only cause them trouble rather than good. This realisation stops them from doing it. Don't you think so? I do!

I don't know what else teachers can do to guide students to behave. Give them lecture? Does it ever work to you? Counselling?

maybe. Oh well.. I think this only adds burden to teachers when they can't do anything to punish students. This could also give teachers stress. STRESS! This is severe and may make teachers become crazy! CRAZY! WohOooo.. OK that's it. I think this is it. I'm not really sure what else to write. LoL... it seems like I'm already deviating from that I suppose to write.. haha... comments and tell me what do you think?

Links that you might be interested to : Canings in schools, Aduan murid dirotan, Rotan sesuka hati,

Comments

  1. We had this discussion in class before. Lot's of issues involved here but for myself, I would try my very best not to resort to caning.

    if students are used to reacting to external factors and deciding their actions based on external motivations, they would be sorely lacking in practicing their self-regulation skills.

    Caning might work in the short run but if we thing long term it would not benefit kids much. I think they need to be able to self regulate and to be proactive, not just reactive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A new teacher experience a new life!

Reminiscence

GLAD it's ALMOST OVER!